Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Books and Bookstores - Favorites

I realize the vast majority of Americans don't read books anymore which is a sad state of affairs. I can't imagine a life without books, reading, escaping to another world and just reading great writing.  If you know any writers, you know that writers read, a lot. 

So what are some of your favorite books?  Bookstores? I live near a town of 6000 people and we have two independent bookstores. Yes two.  If you'd like to learn about some unique bookstores around the globe, see this article in today's NYT.  There's nothing like spending a lazy Sunday in an old bookstore securing a great find.

I love The Strand in New York.  It takes hours to get through this place.

 (The Strand - NYT Photo)

Another is Shakespeare and Company in Paris. An historic venue for sure but a great stop when in Paris.


Blue Whale Books in downtown Charlottesville is another favorite.  It's a great source for books related to Virginia, the Civil War.


What are your favorites and what are you reading? I am reading this really good book that will appeal to anyone who loves ACC basketball. If you don't, then don't spend the time reading this one.


Michael Lewis' new book was released yesterday. He's one of my favorite contemporary writers.  The Big Short, Moneyball, Liar's Poker are a few of his great books.  Cannot wait to read this one.

This one is also on my short list.  This book won the 2016 National Book Award.  Cannot wait to read this one!

I also love finding out of print books about horses, horse racing, famous jockeys, etc.  I finished this great book about Calumet Farm a few weeks ago.

And I'd love to read this one if I can find it for less than $100.  See it here.

Hoping I've inspired you to make a trip to the bookstore!  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...