Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Throwback Tuesday - The Aura of Upperville

The first Monday in June is on every horseman's calendar in Virginia.  It's the day the Upperville Horse Show begins just outside of Washington, D.C. in the most gorgeous horse country you will ever see.  If you have not made the trip PLEASE go.  You will not be disappointed and this year, unlike many, the rains are staying away.  The horse show began in 1853.  If you would like to visit the show everything you need to learn is here.

There is nothing like Upperville.  Words simply do not aptly describe it. The tradition, the trees, the old grand stand, the horses, the beauty of it all.  The best of the best show up.  Winning a blue at Upperville is difficult, very difficult.  Jogging your horse into the ring to pick up any ribbon there is an achievement and I still get goose bumps thinking about the first time I did it. 

Here are some old photos from the show grounds. The grass rings have been replaced with better footing (and has taken away some of the beauty IMHO) but the trees are still there (most of them) and horses are still beautiful and the tradition still continues.....

Some of the country's top riders have ridden in the Upperville Lead Line Class...





 This is Olympian Joe Fargis who lives nearby:



 This is Rodney Jenkins, a top rider who now trains race horses.






 Sidesaddle is still very popular at Upperville:
 

 My lone blue ribbon hangs proudly in my office:

Enjoy your Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that's you holding the cute bay and the trophy box?? ;) So impressive that you have a blue! I would LOVE to just attend Upperville, much less show there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that is not me. I have never won a tricolor at Upperville. My one life's goal in the horse world that has alluded me. We came really close. But close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I've never heard that expression before! You're certainly not done showing yet so I hope you meet your goal some day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...