Saturday, May 15, 2021

Ready for the Weekend - Saturday Musings

 It's Preakness Day and the weather has been divine this week in Virginia.  We had frost a few nights ago, likely a new record date for the latest frost.  My basil somehow survived this time around.  I am readying for summer, my favorite time of the year, full of al fresco dining, early morning rides, long evenings outside.  Memorial Day Weekend. July 4th.  Labor Day.  Horse showing this year!  Lots to look forward to even without vacation plans (we rarely take summer vacations other than to the beach house).

Love For Pete's Sake Pottery and her 4th of July collection is coming and it will set out fast. Love this chip and dip.

These fox canvases are fabulous (and expensive) from Stitching Fox.  I like them all. Some of them are quite big, so check the sizes.  These will make nice pillows or great for a stool or bench.


 


I just ordered this canvas from The Meredith Collection - if you want to order from this designer call M's Canvas House in Lexington, KY.  M's is Meredith by the way.  I'll make this into a door hanger to remind me of one of my favorite places, Keeeneland. Hope to make there for the October meet.

Love this ornament canvas that I stitched many years ago. It's back!  See it here.


 

I came across a vintage silver charm bracelet at an antique show last weekend. It was very small and it just barely fit around my small wrist. It made me think about how someone's life history was held in this small bracelet.  One charm was dated 1953.  Many had charm bracelets at one time and you collected charms that told the story of your life much like we do now with our needlepoint ornaments. I have two gold bracelets with no charms but it's too late now to start that tradition.  And how did this bracelet end up almost being owned by a complete stranger with no clue as to the provenance of those charms and the story they tell?

Love this vintage t-shirt with tennis rackets from J Crew. I have bought zero from J Crew this year. But this is cute and reminds me of stuff we once wore when prep was really in.

So who's going to win the Preakness?  I don't think Medina Spirit will win although I'd like to see him win but think he'll be second or third and he's never finished lower than second in any race.  Concert Tour is a factor as are the two Chad Brown trained horses, Crowded Table and Risk Taking.

I'll leave you with a bit of Preakness history.......

The photo below is Point Given, who won the Preakness in 2001.  Point Given had been expected to win the Kentucky Derby, but ultimately finished an uncharacteristic 5th behind Monarchos - the worst finish in his entire career. The loss had been attributed to many things - the heat, a ride that was too aggressive, and a fast track that made the colt's feet too sensitive.

Nevertheless, Point Given returned for the Preakness Stakes and this time got sweet redemption. "The Big Red Train" won the race by 2 3/4 lengths. He went on to win the Belmont Stakes, Haskell Invitational, and Travers Stakes, making him the first horse in history to win 4 $1 million races in a row!

In 2017, Point Given was pensioned from stud duties and is now a resident of the Kentucky Horse Park's Hall of Champions! You can visit him there anytime you are in Lexington, KY (and I plan to visit him next time I am there for sure).  We owe it to the old ones to give them love and attention even in their older years.  Don't they deserve it?


Post time is about 6:45 pm and you can see the race live on NBC Sports.  Cannot wait to watch this year.  Stay safe. Please wear a mask anyway.  I will be wearing one wherever I go.  And bless our friends in India right now.  They are suffering.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...