Tuesday, September 27, 2011

For the Inn Crowd

Now that fall is on our doorstep, it's time to venture out to some of the quaint country inns that dot the Mid-Atlantic landscape.  Lucky for me, there are tons of places to go within a few hours drive, like the Inn at Gristmill Square that was recently featured near the Homestead. 

There are others worth mentioning too and I'd love to learn of places you might recommend; would love to add a few to my own list.

My very favorite inn, bar none, is the Inn at Phillips Mill in Bucks County, PA, just outside of New Hope.  It is a short drive from Philly or NYC but trust me, if you like, quaint, romantic, no television or phones, then this is the best country inn. We have been going here for years.  It is owned by a World War II vet who happens to be a Yale-educated architect. And if you have knowledge of American art history, then you will also be amazed to learn that one of the famous New Hope painters lived in the compound (there are several houses around the inn that back up to the canal or the Delaware River). 


There are tons of things to do in the area.  Many good restaurants (try the Hamilton Grill in Lambertown, NJ or the Carversville Inn in Carversville, PA).  The Inn at Phillips Mill has a fantastic restaurant as well.  It is BYOB, so plan ahead.


It is very reasonable (rooms all under $200) and they will bring breakfast to your room upon request.  But it is a bit rustic, what I'd call arrogantly shabby, but if you like this style you'll love this place.  They also don't take credit cards. 


A famous Inn just outside of Washington, DC is the Inn at Little Washington.  Much has been written about this one, there are several cookbooks out there by the owners/chef.  It is very expensive and hard to get a room and/or dinner reservation. I am not a "foodie" so I have never been, but so many people love this place! Many bloggers have mentioned this one.


Two other inns in the Virginia Hunt Country that I find charming are The Ashby Inn in Paris, VA (just beyond Middleburg and Upperville on Route 50) and L'Auberge Provencale in White Post, very close to the Ashby, also just off Route 50 but this one is closer to Winchester.  Below is the outside of The Ashby Inn.



The Ashby is rustic too but very "Virginia Hunt Country."  It has changed ownership since I have been there but it is a unique spot. Explore Millwood, Upperville and Middleburg while you are there.  There are several good restaurants in the area too.  You can also dine at the Ashby.

Just down the road is L'Auberge Provencale which is in White Post, Virginia.  This one is done in French Country. It has a very good restaurtant as well.  Tough to get a reservation here, so plan ahead.  I had my wedding reception here! 


And I'll mention Clifton near Charlottesville but I must admit that it has been a long time since I stayed here.  The reviews continue to be excellent though. 


Maybe this will spur you on to plan a romantic country weekend with your SO.  I am planning one for late October!  Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...