Monday, January 21, 2013

Primer on Needlepoint Belts


Some readers have shown an interest lately in needlepoint belts so here are few from my collection. The aqua one is my most recent creation and I am wearing it a lot. 



I wear the hunt scene belt the most, followed by the one with the pink background on the bottom. The leopard belt is worn the least. 

I send mine to a place in Middleburg, Virginia for finishing. These belts will last a lifetime and you can have them extended (with longer leather tabs) and I have seen some old ones go back in for re-backing.  I have never come close to that kind of use and abuse but it is possible. And you can also send these to the dry cleaner if they get really dirty. But just a recommendation, don't use a light color for the background and that problem will solve itself.

Stitching a belt, much like a Christmas ornament, is an easy and somewhat quick way to create a needlepoint piece.  When you are stitching the bigger projects, like a rug or the handbag I am currently working on, it is nice to have something that you can complete in a relatively short period of time.  I like stitching belts on either 14 or 18. 18 canvas looks the best but it is harder on the eyes.

The photo is below are belts for my hubby. The plaid one you can do in any color and you can also add initials to it.  The fox one has his initials in the middle of the back.

Some of the belts above are in wool, cotton or silk and ivory. It is more of a personal preference. Sometimes I mix the threads. Silk and cotton tend to get dirtier than wool or silk and ivory.  Sometimes I use whatever threads I have in my own inventory.

The ladies at Needlepoint.com or Po's Point can assist you in selecting colors, canvases, threads, needles and anything else.  They can also send the belt off to the finisher when completed.  It's really pretty easy.  And the belts are backed in leather.


Happy stitching. It's going to be bitter cold here this week so we are readying (sigh) for some really frigid temperatures later on. 

9 comments:

  1. Love them! I've been revitalizing my love of needlepoint lately (working on ornaments now) and a belt is next on my list when I complete a few things I'm currently working on. I think the pink one is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pink one gets a lot of wear. It is finished in black leather. All the others are in brown in the top photo.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing. You have opened my eyes to a new equine favorite look! Keep up the great work. Tw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, do I love these. If I wasn't afraid I'd go bonkers trying to see the colors on the canvas (I'm color-blind, not severely but can't see yellow so blue/green, purple/brown and orange/pink don't go very well) I would LOVE to make one! You do a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belts are fun to stich. Where do you send your belts to be finished in Middleburg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I send them to Journeyman in Middleburg. They do a great job, quick turnaround. Chuck Pinnell in Crozet also does a good job but he tends to be more expensive.

      Delete
  5. Where did you find the canvas for the ponies in coolers with the pink background? Love that one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's old, got it from a vendor at a horse show and never seen one like it since!

      Delete
  6. I realize this post is very old, but do you have any idea the source of the one at the top, with the girls and their horses? I would love one like that. Or even to see some more pictures of it, I could recreate it. Thank you!

    catherine dot cogswell at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...