Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Hostess With the Mostest

Being a good hostess takes a lot of time and practice.  I've taken pointers from other hostesses, when I've been a house guest in someone's home, trying to pick "best practices" that I can use in my own home.  Having guests in your home, even for a short period of time, can be stressful, but you want to make sure it's a happy experience for both parties. Here are some pointers:

1) Make Your Guest Room Ooze Comfort
Make sure you provide extra blankets, coverlets, pillows.  I keep a set of down comforters in my guest room, as well as cotton and wool blankets. I iron the sheets for my twin beds.  Make sure the pillows are lush and comfortable as well as the mattress. No one wants to sleep on an uncomfortable bed even for one night.  Make your guest room as comfortable as possible so your guests will want to come back and also so they won't feel like getting out of bed in the morning!

(Pinterest)

 (Pinterest)
2) Provide Good Lighting
Your guests may read before they go to bed.  Keep a lamp by each bed and a table for glasses, water. I also keep a stack of magazines around just in case. 



(Pinterest)

3) Lights Out - Darkness Lovers
Some people like or need total darkness when they sleep, so make sure your windows can be covered. 

 (Pinterest)

4) Luggage Racks
Guests need a place for their luggage. Provide luggage racks or a designated space for them to unpack their suitcases.


4) Bathroom Amenities
Provide your guests with extra towels, toiletries like soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion. I also keep an extra hair dryer in the guest bath.  If you can, provide a terry bath robe.  Make sure your guests know where everything is located - extra toilet paper, soap, tissues.

 (Pinterest)

5) Fresh Flowers
Nothing welcomes guests like a bouquet of fresh flowers in the room. Add a nice fragrance candle to make the room smell even better.



I would like to think that my guest room is as cozy and comfortable as a luxury hotel.  At least that is the kind of comfort I'd like to convey.  You can make your guests comfortable by adding those small, special touches that make them feel welcome and comfortable.  Be the hostess with the mostest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...