Monday, February 24, 2020

Legend of the Fall

Riding is not a hobby for the faint-hearted.  I learned that lesson, once again, two weeks ago, when I had my first fall off Madison, and my first bad fall in about 15 years.  It always happens when you least expect it and this time was no different.

It was my first show of the season, since mid-November and I had taken Madison in a warm-up class to get the rust off.  I don't jump much at home so I had not jumped anything but single jumps since November. Our warm-up was decent (we were 4th in a professional division) and our first Adult class started out well enough.

Typically after the first jump the mare picks up a little steam (I don't jump her with spurs or carry a stick) but that didn't happen.  I had a very difficult time getting her up the first line and added a stride and she just had no gas. So coming around a left turn to an oxer just off the rail, we were right on it, or so I thought. I had a good distance and asked her to leave (and had a fair amount of impulsion to get her going) and she had other plans.  While I thought she'd take off when I asked her to, she did not and suddenly stopped and I went flying over her head and landed very hard, quite a ways from the back-side of the jump.  You always know when you have done something so I did not get up.  I was on my knees, head down, arms in front of me and it was my right shoulder.  I separated my shoulder, or have an AC joint separation.  It's a common sports injury and will heal on it's own in about 4 to 6 weeks. My shoulder is now somewhat deformed with a lump now on the top of it, hoping it will go away over time but maybe no strapless dresses this season.....

Here's what I have.  Type 2.


I can use my arm, but definitely no lifting for many more weeks. I definitely overdid it yesterday so back to being somewhat immobile this week so it can heal. At least I did this in February and not June or July!

If you are going to ride horses, be prepared to fall off at least every 10 years or so.  Sega and I had three falls in one year and that was it - I only fell off her that one year - but the third one sent me to the emergency room.

Hoping you have a safe week!  If you do ride, always wear a helmet. Be safe!  Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Ouch!! Hope your recovery is smooth and quick. I had a fall like that years ago,but I lucked out: pulled all the muscles in my right arm and was in a sling for 2 weeks, but no break. However, to this day, if I do any long term digging in my gardens, that arm hurts..

    The one thing my riding instructor always told me was : even though we think we're always in control, sometimes the horse has other intentions. And sometimes they're smarter than we are... I learned that lesson quick...

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Don’t rush recovery it’s not worth it in the long run. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...