Thursday, April 5, 2018

Farm Favorites - Products I Love

Over the years you tend to get hooked on products and use them over and over again. They become part of your routine. Here are a few things that I simply could not do without today here on the farm. 

I recently switched to this brand of horse feed after hearing so many great things about it from my friends who keep their horses at home.  While my crew lives on air and doesn't get a lot of grain, I am happy to report that the quality of this feed is excellent, the price point good and the horses love it!


When I broke my arm a few years ago and had to find efficiencies in my barn chore routine, I bought a Newer Spreader. Life has not been the same since.  This little contraption has saved my arm, my back and my time.  If you have a small operation, this is the perfect tool for barn chores.  I can put 4-5 muck buckets in it and I empty it on the cow field (a pasture I don't ever use for the horses).  It is simple to use and it has been a life saver.  It can go in the barn easily and it's lightweight enough to be pulled by a riding lawn mower, a small tractor or a 4-wheeler.


In the winter months, I wear this little beauty every morning and every evening.  I'm sad to report that I have not retired it yet for spring as it's so darn cold right now that I still need to wrap myself in this baby.  Nothing is warmer than this. I won't win any Vogue fashion awards wearing it but sometimes warmth is more important.  Mine is wearing out, so next fall I'm on the hunt for a replacement.  You can always tuck an Hermes scarf around the neck to make it a little prettier.  Mine is hunter green.


A few years ago, after the arm incident, I worked on ways to make my barn chores easier.  We ended up buying a 4-wheeler, but one for "old people" - at least that is what the salesman told us.  This is another contraption that I could not do without today. Yes, they are expensive, but worth every penny. I use it to drag my ring, pull the spreaders, move hay and water, and I use it in the yard (with a cart) to pick up sticks, leaves, move bags of fertilizer, etc. It's an all-purpose vehicle for sure.  In winter it starts right up, no matter how cold it is.  

(Polaris ACE)

Farm life is fun, but it's a lot of work and you have to find ways to make it easier, more comfortable and efficient.  Any suggestions from your own experience?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post! I'm just setting up my little farm and that manure spreader looks like a great idea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...