Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Pioneer of the Nile RIP

The untimely death of super stallion and sire of American Pharoah, Pioneer of the Nile, shocked the horse world yesterday.  He was only 13, ironically dying at a young age like Justify's sire, Scat Daddy, who also died of an apparent heart attack at 11. 

My lone trip to Winstar was highlighted by a visit with this incredible horse.  He had the temperament of a pony and we were allowed to feed him peppermints.  He was en route to the vet when he died.  Condolences to the Winstar family.  The devastation of a loss like this cannot be put into words.



Life is just so fragile. Cherish the positive moments.

4 comments:

  1. I worked at Iron Spring Farm for 2 years when Judgement, Michael Matz and Beezie Maddens mount was a young horse, and when he got approved as a stallion.
    I keep thinking I need to go visit him, before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We saw Giant's Causeway before he died. My big regret is never going to see Secretariat. I hope to see Justify in the next 12 months for sure.

      Delete
  2. FYI Scat Daddy was just eleven when he died; 2 years younger than Pioneer Of the Nile.
    Nonetheless, both are gone way to early.

    Great pictures and memories i'm sure of you and Pioneer of the Nile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Duly noted and updated. He had a great brain and I am glad I got to meet him.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...