Saturday, June 5, 2021

The Belmont

It's not been a great year for horse racing but that should not deflect from the third leg of the Triple Crown being run today in New York.  While it won't be normal there will be between 10,000 and 11,000 spectators today, divided into vaccinated and un-vaccinated sections.  It will be televised on NBCSN from 3 to 5 pm and then on NBC Sports from 5 to 7 pm.  Post time is 6:49 pm EDT.

My favorite part is when the horses go out on the track and New York New York is played with Frank.  It still gives me goosebumps every time I watch that part of this historic race.

If I ever get to see the race in person, I'm going to stay at the Garden City Hotel.  Please read this story about this historic property from a few years ago in the Times. The history here is great and I will go to the hotel bar and order a Tapwrit.

This is a small field this year and my money is on the favorite, Essential Quality who I thought would win the Derby. He had a very wide trip and finished fourth. I think he could have won with a better trip quite easily.  He is bred for distance and his sire Tapit is known for producing Belmont winners. He is in the number two post.  

Love these mugs from Etsy depicted the turn at Belmont.  Big Sandy is indeed big. This is the largest dirt track in North America and the race is 1 1/2 miles long, quite a long distance for any race horse.  This is likely the longest race any of these horses will ever enter.

Other Belmont facts:

The flowers for the Belmont are Carnations. We have roses for the Derby and Black-eyed Susans for the Preakness. 

The Belmont is the oldest of the three Triple Crown races.

I mentioned New York New York earlier  Up until 1996 the song was The Sidewalks of New York.  But in 2010 they changed the song from New York to New York to Jay-Z's Empire State of Mind but then wisely changed the song back to Frank. (Glad I wasn't there that year).

The official drink was The Belmont Breeze.  Previously until 1997, the drink was the White Carnation.  Supposedly the drink was undrinkable.  Not sure why.  In 2011 the Breeze was changed to the Belmont Jewel.  Who knew?

The fastest 1 1/2 mile Belmont - Secretariat of course. And if you, by chance, have never watched him win the race in 1973 by an astounding 31 lengths while still setting the record, then shame on you. That was one of the greatest moments of all time in sport.  Stunning.  We will never see that again and it gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. With that tidbit, I think I'll watch it again.




1 comment:

  1. Excellent information delivered by this post. Searching for the top class Real Estate Platform for investing in property in United States then RealEstateCake is the perfect online real estate firm to get both on-market and off-market property deals at your finger tips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...