Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Cutest Needlepoint Horse Pillow Ever

I picked this up yesterday at the finisher and could not wait to show it off.  This was indeed a labor of love and one that will be enjoyed for many years to come.  It was also a lot of fun to stitch.  It's 18 so it took a while and I stitched it last year during a trip to France.  This one is truly worth it to stitch and enjoy.  It was finished in blue velvet and we tried to find the right shade of green but could not.  My original plan was to use a divine braid made of two rows of kelley green circles but the budget exploded with that option so instead we used a bright red flat grosgrain type of braid. The red pulls out the red in the pillow.  And lastly we made the pillow with an insert so at some point we can clean it.  Here is the original canvas:


I stitched it with mostly silk threads but with little cotton here and there.  The large horse in the center was stitched with a different thread (some that I had in my stash) and it gives the horse a unique look.  I was not sure that I liked it but now I do.  I added a row or two of black around the outer edge. The pillow is large and measures 14 x 16 inches.





It's so rewarding to get these back and just love them all over again.  I hope I've encouraged you to take on one of those large projects for 2020. 



6 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job on that pillow. The thread you used on the horse is better than the pattern required; makes it more of a focal point. I'm working on a pillow with cats and books which will go in my library..but it's sitting in its needlework frame, waiting, AND waiting to be finished..one of these days. lol

    May you and yours have a wonderful holiday and a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this canvas at a local needlepoint store. I loved it. I contemplated. I walked away. I went back. I thought about it. Ultimately, I decided against it because it's obviously "jumper-y," not "hunter-y," and I am so partial to hunters. I am so glad you did it, though. It looks FABULOUS and now I might have to reconsider the canvas. I am partial to silk because it glides through the canvas so easily and because nothing I stitch, even belts, gets enough wear or use to worry about breaking down any fragility silk might have. GREAT JOB! Happy stitching in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark I am a hunter person but there are no "huntery" horse show needlepoint patterns out there to speak of. I loved stitching this - it was so much fun - and I won't buy something to stitch if I think it's going to be boring. I can't wait to find the right spot for this in my house. Hoping you'll change your mind and order it. It was worth it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...