Monday, July 5, 2021

That Competitive Equestrian Spirit - Lessons Learned

With the Summer Olympics starting soon, we'll be seeing a lot of athletes in the coming weeks.  I've been a competitive athlete all of my life, swimming as a child, running track in junior high, then on to tennis, volleyball and even a short stint with softball.  Riding was always a part of my life but I quit riding at eighteen and then picked it back up when I was in my 30's.  If you have that "type A" competitive personality, you like to win.  And I do like to win.  But I've learned a lot through the years, how to temper my desire to win and how to make competitive sports fun and enjoyable.  It hasn't always been an easy journey but here are a few lessons learned....

1) If it's not fun don't do it

Riding is a very expensive hobby that is time consuming and if you don't enjoy it, find another sport.  


2) You have good and bad days - the amateur rule

The division I show in is one of the most competitive anywhere. Several former professional riders who are now amateurs routinely show up and most have very nice horses.  These women ride and ride very well.  I am never going to be a "professional amateur" and I remind myself of that fact at most shows.   We do well enough but I temper my expectations and sometimes I surprise myself.   We all have good and bad days. And remember it's about the fun.

3) Find the right horse and the right trainer

A bad horse costs as much to own as a good one.  A well-respected horseman told me that years ago and I have followed their advice ever since.  And trainers are like teachers, some you like more than others.  Find one that can help you meet your own goals. And it's okay to change your goals and your trainer but there are enough of them out there so you don't have to "settle."   My trainer has done wonders with Madison, my current show horse. I never thought she'd end up being as good as she is now, all thanks to her.

4) There are tools that can help you

The Internet is your friend and so is your local bookstore.   Books galore on how to train, eat, ride and think.

5) Look the part

Wear good fitting riding clothes.  You don't have to own a Charles Anacona riding coat or custom made boots, but you can wear clean, crisp, well-fitting riding clothes.  Always wear gloves and have your hair neatly tucked into your riding helmet.  Your saddle pad should fit your saddle.  Your tack should be oiled and clean and boots should be shiny. Don't braid yourself unless you are good at it (practice makes perfect).  I can't tell you how important that first impression is when you walk in the ring.  Can this make the difference between whether you get a ribbon?  Yes it can tip you one or another if you are on the bubble.

6) Some days you win, some days you lose.

I can think of shows where I won ribbons when I did not deserve them and others in which I had great trips but did not get ribbons. It all evens out in the end. Look to the positive in every show, every class and enjoy the moment and be glad you are out "doing it."

 

7) Buy lots of photos

I have a large hall in my upstairs and it is lined with horse photos, as is my home office.  You can never have too many of these.  I bought two photos from my last horse show at Deep Run two weeks ago. I wish I had bought every photo of Alfie now from every horse show.  Buy.every.photo. 

This is an early photo of Sega in Ocala, her first year there at age 6.  She looks like the young inexperienced horse that she was back then. Today is her 27th birthday.  Hug your horses, enjoy every day with them. Life is short.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...