Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Belmont Glass With a Past

The Belmont Stakes (the abridged version) will be run this Saturday and while it's not a normal year for anything, the Belmont is no exception.  It will be the first and the shortest race of the Triple Crown but at least it is being run.  The field has sadly dwindled and I was so excited about the race a few weeks ago - a match up with great talent (many undefeated) - Nadal, Maxfield, Charlatan, and Tiz the Law. Injury has taken out all except Tiz the Law.  And unless Tiz the Law falls out of the starting gate on his face, I expect him to win without anyone in the race to match his speed and talent.  And he's already won a Grade 1 Stakes at Belmont.

But we can still celebrate the race, even sheltering in place and I intend to do so, pulling out some of my favorite glass and making a Belmont Breeze for the first time.

Collecting elegant glass has been a passion for about 20 years and my collection has grown over time, many with horses and jockeys (who knew) like these glasses made by Heisey.  


My favorites for race day are the Morgantown Jockey Stems. These were made for Gulfstream Park in the 1940's by West Virginia-based Morgantown Glass and come in only two colors - a clear jockey stem or an amber one.  I have a collection of the amber ones and pull them out for big race days. They are made for champagne. You can pick them up every now and then on Ebay or Etsy or at glass shows.  They are not as fine as the Imperial Hunt Scene glass but so much fun for race day.


While not really horse racing, I still love Imperial Hunt Scene which was made by Cambridge (Ohio) in the 1920's for a short period of time:




(Hazel Atlas)

And these are in my collection but I have no idea where they came from.  I bought them at a glass show about 10 years ago and they sit on my bar cart.  Maybe we'll use them on Saturday!

 

I hope you'll be enjoying that Belmont Breeze in a glass with a past.  We certainly will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...