Thursday, November 12, 2020

Easy Holiday Ideas - Part 1

It will be a different holiday season for many this year, without the ability to go out, mingle with friends, go to parties or dinners. At the farm, it won't be that different as we usually stay home due to the horses and hubby's job.  We had planned to take a trip to the Christmas Markets this December so I will certainly be missing that.   Last year we were away some in December so we did not even decorate until the second week which made me feel a bit cheated. So we'll make up for that this season.

So how do you make the holidays special on your own?  Here are a few ideas from the many years we've spent at home enjoying the holidays by ourselves.

Decorate and do it early.  I usually start around Thanksgiving when I have time off from work. Wreath for the cabin. Wreath for two outside doors at the farm.  I use a real one for my front door and have wreaths for the others. Get your live wreaths early this year.  Frontgate and Williams-Sonoma are good sources too.

You can order from Etsy too but check your sizes. I like at least a 22 inch wreath, maybe 24.

I also put fresh garland on my front gates, sometimes on porch banisters and add some red bows. You can buy this online too if you don't want to go out.  Order early if you need to buy online.


Pull out the holiday china and all the trappings once you wrap Thanksgiving and don't put it away until mid to late January. We do this every year and I look forward to using all my holiday dinnerware. Add place mats and napkins too like these plaid ones from Pottery Barn.  And I love that you don't have to wash these.  Use your white plates with these, add some green or red touches like glasses or candles to your table.

Maybe add these fun napkins for a more whimsical holiday look:

I love these plates from Juliska Outlet which are an additional 25 percent off. Add these to plain white dinner plates for a festive holiday look.


 I love this tartan set from Williams-Sonoma. I'd never get tired of this pattern. 

Because we really can't travel or go to restaurants or socialize indoors, I am going to plan something different at least once a week for the entire month of December. I have not yet decided how this will play out but dinner and a movie comes to mind. A game of backgammon and wine and cheese, a mini gift giving evening with a nice dinner, dinner in the barn (we did this in warm weather), wine and cheese in the bed of the truck to star gaze.  You get the idea.  I think you really to think out of the box this year.  It is often the simple things you remember. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...