Friday, March 27, 2020

My Farmhouse Guest Bathroom

I don't usually share photos of my own house on this blog but decided to show my very small guest bathroom at the farm house.  My house is very old (1800's).  When we renovated (and it was a total gut renovation) my goal was an old house with modern bathrooms and kitchen but with old world charm.  I did not want the bathrooms to look new. 

The guest bath is at the top of the stairs, is very small, on the front of the house facing south and is rarely used. It is L-shaped. 


The walls are tongue and groove wood (we added) which was painted a very vibrant green and then antiqued. At the last minute I decided to make the wood go in opposite directions (see it in the photo above).  My master bath is also tongue and grove but is much larger.  The floor and the tile in the shower is marble.  The vanity was custom built for the room.  The top is also marble (a remnant).  Fixtures are Kohler.  I believe the lights are Visual Comfort (not 100 percent sure about that).


I had the roman shade (it's a tiny green check) made and I stitched the Susan Robert's rug for the room.



The antique tavern sign is very old and was purchased locally.


The towels came from Target and I had them monogrammed locally. It is often the small details that make a room - the art, the waste basket, the towels, the flowers. The dried flowers came from a store in WV that had the most wonderful and reasonable dried flower arrangements.  These are close to 20 years old.  The magazine holder is a brush box that I won at a horse show. I have one in my powder room too (different horse show).




I never get tired of this small bath and want it to be cozy when we do have company (our guests usually stay at our cabin, three miles from the farm).  The sink is very small and we had to find one that would fit in this space.  This is not a sink you'd want to use every day but for guests it works fine.  This picture was purchased in London and was framed here. The one in the silver frame was purchased in Santa Fe years ago.  Good art is important to a room.





Originally this bath had sky blue tile (from the 1970's I believe) and the shower leaked into the entrance hall below.  My entrance hall had shocking pink high-low carpet that went up the stairs. It was lovely!   My house has come a long way!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful post on the needlepoint on etsy! What a wonderful time I had looking through it all. I found some stunning bunnies I just had to have a lovely dog too. I usually go to the "Point of it all" in DC. This in someways is so much better! Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I know Etsy is not the place you think to buy needlepoint but it is a great source and so easy! Would love to see the finished products!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...